Tuesday, March 23, 2010

My Faith: Traditional Or New Age?

In my own words I define traditional faith as a faith based on traditions and customs. Being a catholic we know the traditions followed by our ancestors. But whether we like it or not, some of these traditions have its flaws if we would not be careful enough in following it. As we observe, most super religious older women attend mass on Sundays and even everyday, join church organizations and pray the rosary daily. Yet one of their common flaws is criticizing the young for not doing what they do thereby making them too self-righteous. Most often, they hate the change that the younger generation brings. We know these older people were trying their best to be just as good. However, their traditional beliefs get in the way. Instead of helping the young they do otherwise by criticizing them. Another thing is, if we focus much on traditional expression of our faith we tend to forget the most important thing: our interaction with God is spontaneous. Because God is not a God of traditions only. He is a God of yesterday, today and tomorrow.

Another kind of faith sprang from what they call new age spirituality or new age enlightenment. It is a kind of faith more focus on one's spirit and what this unlimited spirit can do. In short, it does not recognize a God who is. If my understanding of this kind of faith is lacking, I am open to corrections and more knowledge. As of the moment, this is how I see it.

With regards to my own faith, I believe in the Triune God: Father, Son and Holy Spirit. I go to mass because I believe the priests are given the mission by God to minister the people. I recognize the Bible as the recordings of the history of my faith and of God's love. Like Moses and Jesus, I pray to hear God's words directly speaking to me. This for me is the most important part of my faith: Prayer. I believe what constitutes most in making me what I am is my faith. Furthermore, I believe I have not yet gone deeper into it. Thus on this journey of spirituality I embark.

No comments:

Post a Comment